The Giomici Castle (Castello di Giomici) is a medieval fortress dating back to the XI century, built as a surveillance point and defense of the Chiascio Valley against Perugia and Assisi, historical enemies of Gubbio.
Still in good conditions, it is composed of two towers, some houses and a small church (1154) with frescoes going back to 1200 and 1600, some of which by Matteo Gualdo; a wonderful wood roof and – behind the altar – a frame, Della Robbia style.
The first document mentioning the Castle goes back to 1160 and consists in an Imperial Bull by Frederick Redbeard (Federico Barbarossa) by which he gave the Castle of “Giomisco” to the Lordship of Assisi and, three years later, to the Lords of Gubbio. During the Middle Age, the castle was involved in battles between Gubbio, Perugia and Assisi.
The castle has witnessed the presence of famous historical names, among which Petruccio de Ciuccio de Villamaina who – during the XIV century – died in defense of the tower. Later – XIX century – the bandit Cinicchia found shelter in the cellars of the castle.
Cinicchia was also known as “The Robin Hood of Umbria” because he was used to take money from rich in favor of poor people.
In 1650 the caste moved into the hands of family Vagni, who still belongs it.
The Vagnis have restructured the castle and the nearby farms preserving the historical and architectural features. In 1944 the family also restored the Petruccio de Ciuccio’s tower, the castle’s church and the outer defense walls.
Within the Castle’s property there are two small lakes. These are available to guests who want to relax fishing and/or attending flycasting/fishing courses.
Anglers who prefer running water can cast their flies into the Chiascio, flowing near the castle.